We have just seen a simple point about Jesus -- that he cares
more for people than he does for himself. This point is about to get even
more meaningful as we read on... Read Mark 14:1.
What did these people want to do to Jesus?
Has anyone ever hated you? Wanted something bad to
happen to you? How does that feel -- depressing, scary? Jesus
understands how it feels -- they wanted to kill him!
Jump down and read verses 10 and 11. What about when a friend turns on you?
- Betrays you, acts like your friend but is not.
- When someone becomes popular for the things they are doing to hurt you.
How does that feel? Jesus understands and cares!
- He loved Judas and always treated him right.
- He didn't deserve to be treated that way.
Do you think anyone feels like that today?
- Betrayed, humiliated, worthless, uninvolved?
- Good news! Jesus cares!
Verses 32-34. Jesus going to the Garden of Gethsemane...
How does he feel?
- Deeply distressed and troubled.
- Sorrow to the point of death.
He feels sad enough to die! Have you ever felt that sad,
that you could just die? Do you think anyone is depressed today?
Anyone just feel like not going on with life? Jesus understands how that
feels and he cares! He was sad enough to die.
Verses 37-38. Disciples fall asleep instead of keeping watch...
Have you ever needed for someone to be there for you and they
weren't? That can make you feel unimportant, rejected, lonely,
What do we know now? Jesus understands!
- When parents aren't there.
- When brothers and sisters aren't there.
- When best friends aren't there.
- Jesus is there... He understands and cares.
Verse 43-45. Judas betrays Jesus...
Judas was "one of the twelve"... one of Jesus' friends!
He gave Jesus a kiss on the cheek to betray Him...
- A sign of affection and respect, but Judas used it to get him arrested.
- He was using Jesus.
- He was betraying Jesus.
Have you ever had someone use you just to get their way?
Has anyone ever used you to make someone else jealous,
or to take advantage of you?
There is good news... Jesus cares!